Thursday, January 6, 2011

A nest to remember

This is a special nest to me. Why?

I mentioned the use of fake nests & Styrofoam pads some time ago. The intent is to encourage young birds to populate new areas of the bird house. This is the first nest I decide to harvest finally after 2 rounds of fledgelings had grown from it.














That area is now been populated with some 40 nests. I am quite content with the results. I didn't use aroma. Just a combination of tweeters & fake nest/Styrofoam pads.

Growing the population is always a challenge. A friend posed a question to me before: "How would you keep your young birds from going away?"

I guess this is one good way.

4 comments:

Tweeter said...

On a painted cement wall!
So no need to use wood plank in the future?

Walet.twins said...

That was a harvested nest. I have a small colony of 8 nests on cement wall even there are ample nesting plank space nearby. Guess it's the location.

I'll do some experiment there next.

Anonymous said...

U r from Melbourne?

Is there any swiftlet there?

So far I only know there is penguin in Philip Island.

I also did not use any aroma on the styrofoam.

How u stick on the cement wall? what is the spacing? can u show some photos?

In my opinion, the birds will make nests on anything u stick on the nesting plank.(70-80%)

I havent tried it on the wall.

I will try it soon.

Walet.twins said...

I do spend time in Melbourne every year. The Fairy penguins of Philip Island, being the smallest of its kind, are cute. Have you seen them?

Actually I don't prefer nests on walls. Very few birds do that in general. For me it is curiosity to study them.