Friday, October 16, 2009

Some Reflections
















The completion of this farm marked a major milestone for me. Of course there are many challenges and frustrations along the way. Many of my friends find it hard to believe what I am doing! What? You become a bird nest farmer? It does not matter what they think, honestly.

Yes, there are often skepticisms expressed subtly and tactfully. Did it deterred me? Not a bit.
Why? Because I have a vision and my mission is to see it through!

It is a risky venture too. Many wondered is it a risk worth taking, having to put in years of efforts & money and take a chance if the birds would come & stay! Even as I came close to finish the farm, someone posed me a question, "Won't you worry one day your birds will fly away?"

I always believe risk is a function of what you don't know. If one is ignorant, there are always so many why's and don't s. Sometimes I was tired to answer those queries.

If you care to put in efforts and learn everything you can about it, the risk is greatly mitigated. It is that simple a logic.

The critical moment is the point of decision making to take a plunge.. especially when it is a huge undertaking for the first time; it really takes courage! After that just persevere through without looking back. Otherwise, times of self doubt creeps in and shakes your confidence.

Fortunately, I have good fortune of meeting some supportive bird nest farmers who are willing to share and help along the way. I really owe them a depth of gratitude!

I also keep an open mind as I execute my building plan, giving the builder some degrees of freedom after explaining my intent. Many times I was pleasantly surprised by their contribution, acknowledging their lateral inputs; "... hmm... why didn't I think of it that way before!" It is a learning experience all the way.

In the short 2 years, I have gone through renovating an acquired bird house, converted a new shop unit and now completed the building of the standalone farm. It is far more than what I set out to do in the first place.

Perhaps this Frank Sinatra song reflects best the spirit that went into it!


I do look forward to more exciting ventures in the near future.

4 comments:

Tirok said...

Best of luck. I share your sentiments My Hollow is already 3 months in operation. There's hiccup here and there like leaking roof but have overcome them. There are lots of swiftlets flying above. Due to the pecularity of my DK the swiftlets refused to enter except for a few. I'm presevering to see that they get used to the DK.

Walet.twins said...

Your Hollow has a good layout. If I were to do it again, I would adopt too. I've seen 2 other similar BHs under construction, I really like it.

As your DK entry, perhaps you can send me some photos and see if we can figure out why. DK designs are quite standard, isn't it?

Tirok said...

You can see my DK by visiting http://swiftlethaven.blogspot.com/2009/08/roof-repaired.html./ The shape may scare off the swiftlets. The swiftlets are used to rectangular window type opening but mine is a bit different and odd. the DK looks cafe like but swiftlet don't leave in caves now. many be not use to such type of entrance.

Walet.twins said...

Hi Tirok, if I am in your situation now (i.e. after 3 months observation), I would revamp the entrance design. Perhaps consider convert to airwell approach.