Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Went live on air - at last!

End Sept was the time line to close the bird house and go live with bird calls. Indeed it was a joyous moment to watch the swiftlets came visiting! It turn out the side entrance was used by most birds - a good judgment call (& a self praise, of course).



Obviously I couldn't count.. hundreds perhaps!
















In fact some swiftlets went in to check it out even before that. A few stayed over for the night!









Showing off a newly planted tree.















The final hours - setting up the sound system and the switch board.















Each power amplifier drives about 150 tweeters - total of 600 aprox. installed.















Dome camera & flood lights were installed too.



















A friend came visiting and got stuck in mud!















I went to the rescue and slid down the pond's edge - hanging precarious close to the water line. It lost all tractions and impossible to pull out even on 4 wheel drive.















Turned out to be a bigger rescue effort! Chains secured to anchored poles to prevent it sliding down further. Darkness fell and the flood lights just installed a day earlier came in handy.















Another steel pole formed a guide rail on the other side.















A couple more sand bags in place to help regain traction - without these resourceful guys around I wouldn't be able to get it out! The drama was over and you bet I just want a good sleep that night.



















Thought I've seen it all how the workers live off the land - until I saw them sampling the crabs caught from rice fields around.















These are destined to the cooking pot!















And this prawn from the deep pond - considered small, the head alone is about 8 cm long!















Its been quite a journey building this farm. How do I sum up my experience?
1. It gave me a lot of satisfaction applying some of my engineering knowledge.
2. It brought me closer to nature, which I truly enjoyed.
3. Last but not least, develop new friendships and bonds in the process.

9 comments:

tuckfook said...

Well done Charles...Congratulations. Keep us posted on the progress.

sachin sharma said...

Really interesting .... Keep posting..

Sachin Sharma
Runs SEO Training Institute in Delhi India

Swiftlet4u said...

Hi Charles, Congratulation for the grand opening of your new BH ! Good well planning BH..look promising. Keep in touch if you are free.

Justin Tan
tan2020@gmail.com

Walet.twins said...

Hi folks, thanks for your compliments. My wish is to develop this as a model farm, so many ideas will be tested here.

Tweeter said...

How many entrances do you have?
Do you also have an open roof entrance?

Walet.twins said...

Hi Tweeter, there are two entrances. No open roof entrances. Understand you are building your bird house soon, like me to take a look at your design?

Tweeter said...

Yes, thanks.
Can I have your email address?

Walet.twins said...

My email:
chng.charles@gmail.com

Mail Chen said...

Congratulations Bro. I beleive this will be a very successful BH ever. Love your blogs