Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Another leisure activity at my farm

The small river adjacent to the farm has plentiful fishes - right at my door step! Locals often come to fish or pick the floating veggies. I have observed various ways fishes are being caught here.

I don't have the patience like many who use rods or home made spear gun & sun-bake while waiting. I favor the lazy way - set a trap and come back in the evening. This one far surpasses those home made traps with plastic bottles... simply stretch it across the river.













The first catch - not bad, almost 50 gouramis! Regret I didn't get them alive, otherwise I would have add to my ponds. A passing neighbor told me I didn't set it up properly as the fishes got stuck at the end of the trap - drowned!













What? Fishes drowned! Well if they got stuck & can't swim they can't get oxygen, right! So that's another lesson for the day.

Asked my neighbor P'Wah what to do with it - "Just fried them." he said. So this lot ended up in his frying pan.

The other trap I've got to catch fishes from my own ponds. No luck for the first attempt, may be I need to find the right spot.

1 comment:

Man versus Markets said...

Nice. Looks like its turning into an animal farm